Thursday, November 7, 2013

Microchipping: Should You? Why?

Microchipping is something that is being done more and more widely everyday, I'm going to share a story that happened the other day and what has made up my mind about it's importance.. As I previously mentioned I have a bunch of pets, 10 currently to be precise, 4 being cats and 1 a dog, one of my cats, Myles a purebred rag doll whom I had intended to be an indoor cat as the breed should be, and also because I had read too many articles on stolen exotic breed cats. He managed to get out the door the other day while opening the door for one of the other 3 cats that are outdoor cats, and I couldn't find him, luckily a very nice neighbour called and said she had a cat on her property, (knowing we had cats) and asked if he belonged to us, so he's back home safe and sound and never allowed to escape again. But next vet trip, needless to say he will be microchipped.
Why? What is it you ask?
Microchipping is an identification tag, that is inserted under the skin on your pet, and is about the size of a grain of rice, this tiny device contains your (as the owner) information, so that you may be contacted if your pet is found, please note that this is not a GPS tracking device it can not find your lost pet, but it can help the pet find his/her way back to you if he/she is turned over to the SPCA or brought into a vet, the microchip will be scanned and you will be contacted. It isn't an expensive procedure, 25$-50$ depending on your vet and can help save the life of your pet, and reunite him/her with you again. To me, any chance I have of getting back a lost loved one, is worth it no matter the cost.
This is a great article to continue reading up on this topic as it is becoming widely used around the world (although it says "kitten" it could refer to a dog or adult cat all the same):
http://www.petmd.com/cat/centers/kitten/health/evr_ct_cat_microchips#.UnunDZH0DwJ

No comments:

Post a Comment